The Gender Studies Steering Committee advises and assists the Director on matters pertaining to the Program’s academic curriculum and programming. Members of the Committee also help to promote the Gender Studies Program as a scholarly community committed to the interdisciplinary study of gender and sexuality.
The nine voting members of the Steering Committee are elected by faculty members associated with the Program. The Committee also includes one undergraduate student representative and one graduate student representative, both in a non-voting capacity. The Director, Associate Director, and Program Coordinator are ex officio non-voting members of the Committee. The Internal Scholar-in-Residence, Postdoctoral Fellow, and Subject Librarian for Gender Studies participate in Steering Committee meetings in a non-voting capacity.
Current Voting Members
- Gail Bederman (2021-23) - Associate Professor, History
- La Donna Forsgren (2021-24) - Associate Professor, Film, Television, and Theatre
- Julia Kowalski (2020-23) - Assistant Professor, Keough School of Global Affairs
- Connie Mick (2019-22) - Director of Academic Affairs, Center for Social Concerns
- Vanesa Miseres (2019-22) - Assistant Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures
- Cara Ocobock (2021-24) - Assistant Professor, Anthropology
- Emily Remus (2020-23) - Assistant Professor, History
- Christina Wolbrecht (2021-24) - Professor, Political Science
- Nicole Woods (2021-22) - Assistant Professor, Art History
Current Non-Voting Members
- Barbara Green, Director of Gender Studies; Chair of Steering Committee
- Pamela Butler, Associate Director of Gender Studies
- Linnie Caye, Program Coordinator, Gender Studies
- Sam Bader, Undergraduate Student Representative
- Mayra Cano, Graduate Student Representative
- Rachel Bohlmann, Subject Librarian for Gender Studies
The Undergraduate Education Subcommittee reviews proposals for changes to the requirements of the undergraduate curriculum of Gender Studies, and then makes a recommendation on the issue to the full Steering Committee. This committee also consults on courses to be crosslisted in Gender Studies. Additionally, it considers opportunities for enhancing undergraduate education in Gender Studies. Undergraduate committee members review submissions for the undergraduate essay award.
Subcommittee members: 2021-2022 Gail Bederman, Julia Kowalski, Vanesa Miseres
The Graduate Education Subcommittee reviews proposals for changes to the requirements of the graduate curriculum of Gender Studies, and then makes a recommendation on the issue to the full Steering Committee. This committee also considers opportunities for enhancing graduate education in Gender Studies. Graduate committee members review submissions for the graduate writing awards.
Subcommittee members: 2021-2022 Cara Ocobock, Emily Remus, Nicole Woods
The Research Subcommittee reviews applications for Affiliated Faculty status and makes recommendations on the issue to the full committee. It also suggests and reviews candidates for Concurrent Faculty. Additionally, this subcommittee considers opportunities for enhancing research in Gender Studies. Research committee members review submissions for the senior thesis award.
Subcommittee members: 2021-2022 La Donna Forsgren, Connie Mick, Christina Wolbrecht