The Gender Studies Steering Committee advises and assists the Director on matters pertaining to the Program’s academic curriculum and programming. Members of the Committee also help to promote the Gender Studies Program as a scholarly community committed to the interdisciplinary study of gender and sexuality.
The nine voting members of the Steering Committee are elected by faculty members associated with the Program. The Committee also includes one undergraduate student representative and one graduate student representative, both in a non-voting capacity. The Director, Associate Director, and Program Coordinator are ex officio non-voting members of the Committee. The Internal Scholar-in-Residence, Postdoctoral Fellow, and Subject Librarian for Gender Studies participate in Steering Committee meetings in a non-voting capacity.
Current Voting Members
- Maria Alexandrova (2020-23) - Assistant Professor, Eck Institute for Global Health
- Meredith Chesson (2018-21) - Associate Professor, Anthropology
- Karen Graubart (2019-22) - Associate Professor, History
- Perin Gürel (2018-21) - Associate Professor, American Studies
- Julia Kowalski (2020-23) - Assistant Professor, Keough School of Global Affairs
- Connie Mick (2019-22) - Director of Academic Affairs, Center for Social Concerns
- Vanesa Miseres (2019-22) - Assistant Professor, Romance Languages and Literatures
- Emily Remus (2020-23) - Assistant Professor, History
- Pamela Wojcik (2018-21) - Professor, Film, Television, and Theatre
Current Non-Voting Members
- Mary Celeste Kearney, Director of Gender Studies; Chair of Steering Committee
- Pamela Butler, Associate Director of Gender Studies
- Linnie Caye, Program Coordinator, Gender Studies
- Sam Bader, Undergraduate Student Representative
- Brianna McCaslin, Graduate Student Representative
- Rachel Bohlmann, Subject Librarian for Gender Studies
The Undergraduate Education Subcommittee reviews proposals for changes to the requirements of the undergraduate curriculum of Gender Studies, and then makes a recommendation on the issue to the full Steering Committee. This committee also consults on courses to be crosslisted in Gender Studies. Additionally, it considers opportunities for enhancing undergraduate education in Gender Studies. Undergraduate committee members review submissions for the undergraduate essay award.
Subcommittee members: 2020-2021 Perin Gurel, Pam Wojcik, Maria Alexandrova
The Graduate Education Subcommittee reviews proposals for changes to the requirements of the graduate curriculum of Gender Studies, and then makes a recommendation on the issue to the full Steering Committee. This committee also considers opportunities for enhancing graduate education in Gender Studies. Graduate committee members review submissions for the graduate writing awards.
Subcommittee members: 2020-2021 Karen Graubart, Connie Mick, Julia Kowalski
The Research Subcommittee reviews applications for Affiliated Faculty status and makes recommendations on the issue to the full committee. It also suggests and reviews candidates for Concurrent Faculty. Additionally, this subcommittee considers opportunities for enhancing research in Gender Studies. Research committee members review submissions for the senior thesis award.
Subcommittee members: 2020-2021 Meredith Chesson, Vanessa Miseres, Emily Remus